Advanced therapies are rapidly becoming a viable therapeutic option. Thus, to ensure a patient receives an effective therapy, the supply chain will need to evolve from a clinical trial logistics paradigm to an inter-related coordinated supply chain.
To understand the technology and services required for this future-state, Fisher BioServices and our sister company, Fisher Clinical Services, held a knowledge exchange event, INSIGHTS Europe. The event took place in Basel, Switzerland, where therapy developers discussed their current challenges and looked ahead to predict their future needs. There were a range of therapeutic companies present (small molecule through to advanced therapies) however the trends are applicable to advanced therapies.
In this blog, I’ll share my key takeaways from the INSIGHTS Europe event.
- “The journey is just as important as the destination”
- Early planning is critical, both for clinical trials and commercial-scale operations. By addressing how activities will be managed early on, it can minimize risk and cost, and optimize downstream processes.
- It’s essential to reduce the touch points within the supply chain as this will minimize opportunities for error. Ultimately, it’s best to have a single supply chain manager/organization coordinating all activities.
- Tracking systems are important but they have limitations. Since they can only visualize issues, but are not able to adapt to change, you still need human oversight to understand, predict and overcome challenges before they happen. This approach can be equated to modern-day airplanes and pilots. While a plane is capable of flying itself, it requires a pilot to analyze data and circumstances as a way to overcome issues before they occur.
- Orphan therapies can navigate through the clinical trial phases to commercialization in approximately three years. This means that the commercial supply chain needs to be considered from the very beginning of the planning process.
Interested in learning more? Stay tuned for a new blog series focused on supply chain optimization for advanced therapies. In the meantime, we welcome you to contact us using the link below to learn more about how our services can provide expert management of your advanced therapeutic materials.